Simple Ham Radio Antennas: The 10 minute dipole. Post #313


This is what I call a "quick and dirty" dipole antenna suitable for field expedient use or for portable operation. This video by Ten-Tec's Scott Robbins (W4PA) has received a bit of criticism, but its basic premise is excellent: "Cut, solder, and tie off." Since I'm a bit slow in the soldering department (far sightedness doesn't help much in close work...I had to use my bifocals on this project), I just took my time and built Scott's basic model in about a half-hour. I cut the antenna for the mid-point of the 40 meter band (7.150 MHz) and used some extra RG-8X coax as the feedline. Fortunately, I had two well-placed Norfolk Pine Trees on my property and was able to get the dipole about 40 ft/12.19 meters above ground. I made a choke balun out of the last few feet of the coax nearest the antenna elements to keep stay rf off the coax shield. Without my trusty Drake MN-4 transmatch in the line, I got an initial SWR of 1.6:1. The "tuner" brought that down to 1:1 without much trouble. This antenna is not meant for permanent installation and it's a bit of a compromise, but, this easily assembled antenna will get you on the air with a decent signal. In an emergency, that may be all that's necessary to get a message to the outside world. Overall, this video does a pretty good job of making a basic, no frills dipole antenna. For the latest Amateur Radio news and events, please check out the blog sidebars. These news feeds are updated daily.Aloha es 73 de Russ (KH6JRM).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Building a ZS6BKW antenna from scratch. Post #1559.

Antenna for Condo Backyard-Stealth. Post #1542.

G5RV Multi Band HF Dipole Antenna. Post #1555.